Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bienvenida! (Emily Engel)



Emily Engel
Bienvenida!

At least that’s what they’ve been saying to me this past week in Suchitoto. “Welcome Emily,” “thank you,” I tell each woman in gratitude as they welcome me into their lives. I would say that they welcome me into their ‘office and work’, but the truth is that this work, the defense of women who encounter violence, is their life. The multiple women that I have had the privilege to get to know this past week live to defend women and prevent more cases of violence against them. Some women on the executive board come from situations of violence themselves, and others simply believe in the right to a life free from violence. A life of happiness and not fear. A peaceful life.

This is a belief that I too share with these women. As I studied more and more psychology at Gonzaga University, I discovered that Latinos, women’s empowerment, and sexual health were my interests. In addition, I received a minor in Mathematics because prior to studying psychology I was a math major, but found the subject tedious after some time. For those of you unsure of where Gonzaga is located, it is in Spokane, WA, near the border with Idaho. However, I’m from a small town north of Seattle called Snohomish. I’ve lived there my whole life, except when studying abroad in El Salvador with the CASA de la Solidaridad program in the Spring of 2011. It was during that semester that I fell in love with the people and the culture, minus machismo. I decided mid-way through my semester that I had to return and thus here I am!

Although El Salvador has a history of violence, I truly believe that the work of APDM, of whom I will accompany for the next year, has made, and will continue to make, huge strides in reducing the violence in this country. The way that one begins this process is with herself. Later, her community, then her province, and then her country. APDM, Asociación para el Desarrollo y Defensa de la Mujer, or in English, Association for the Development and Defense of Women, has successfully began to defend and educate women in this province. APDM has gained the support of the community, the mayor, police, schools, and many other organizations in Suchitoto. I will continue to accompany APDM and learn more about the varying roles within this organization, of which I can aid more directly in the coming months.

I want to personally thank the family and friends of Dennis O’Connor and the donors of the Dennis O’Connor Memorial Fund. I had the opportunity to read the blog post announcing Dennis’ passing, of which many contributed with heartwarming stories. I then followed the link to read “Another day in Cancerland” written by Dennis himself. He spoke endearingly about a woman named Peggy Hollingsworth who told Dennis multiple times, “You do great work for CRISPAZ, but you can’t do it if you’re dead.” Well, although Dennis has gone before us, he lives in each of us, whether we knew him directly or not. It is because of you, the family and friends of Dennis, and the donors to his memorial fund that make it possible for me to attempt to do great work for CRISPAZ, just as Dennis did. It is because of you that I am in El Salvador volunteering and assisting this women’s movement in the fight against violence, a cause that I’m sure Dennis would support. So, thank you once again for your generous donations in supporting CRISPAZ volunteers like me.

Con amor,
Emily
CRISPAZ Compañera

We are very happy to welcome Emily Engel, our new compañera (Long-Term  Volunteer), to the CRISPAZ Family.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing Emilia! I am so excited to hear all about your journey and your work with CRISPAZ!

    ReplyDelete